sailun g goes bye bye......2200 miles on it

IronJ

so like most I was worried about the POS tow max that came on my trailer which was PRE g series tires..

so about 6 months ago bought 7 of those highly rated sailun g rubber doughnuts for my house on wheels from simple tire...

well..im prepping my rig for a 4 week trip and move the trailer from storage shop to my house and I feel an odd hitch in my giddy up.......yep....it was flat as a pancake an flapping....tread was totally separated on about 2/3 of tire....huge bubble in side....it must blew while parked

upon further inspection I looks like one on other side has early signs of tread separation as well....???

I have an appointment with my tire guy for some goodyear g's on Tuesday.....he told me I was 3rd person this month with blown sailun he has seen....is gonna check my codes to see if they are same lot...

so tired of this tire drama!

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

I'll bet the NHSTA would like to inspect those tires. If there's a batch with a manufacturing defect, you could help get the entire batch recalled.

SNOKING

Were they the new ST235/80R16G's or the standard bearer ST235/85R16G's? Do you jack knike the trailer alot when parking etc on high traction payment? Triple angle trailers put a lot of stress on tires in tight turns. Wtting the surface or a little sand helps the trailer slide. If this is the case G614 might do the same thing. Chris

IronJ

Trailer is up on level jacks now...I have not had time to even get to the tire issue.

It is pouring rain so I am taking care of inside issues right now

( wifey wanted a fireplace under tv/counter and I FINALLY found one narrow enough to work!!)

They are 235/85/16

The only place I feel the trailer may get jackknifed is backing into the shop, but it's a dirt/peagravel drive, so I doubt that would be a ton of sidewall stress??

There are about zero sailun dealers within 200 miles of me. So I ordered these and had my local discount tire mount em up.

They had no idea what a sailun Brand even was...lol

I'm just gonna replace em all with good years since in the event of another issue I can actually get another tire easily.

There is nothing local shop can do for me, and simple tire said it would be thurs or Friday before I would get a new tire from them due to shipping time (and that was with expedited shipping) I leave Thursday morning on my trip...

Somehow I don't feel it's a widespread issue, ....sure are a lot of sailun users NOT complaining?...maybe I hit something on trip a few weeks ago??

In any case, it has made me realize that if/when I need a new tire it's not as simple as picking one up....nowhere (like literally within 200 miles) carries these tires...at least with goodyear I could even go to freaking camping world anywhere and get price eye gouged.

I'll get more info/pics when we get em off tues...

Todas is shopping day ...gotta hit the 500$ store (aka Costco) lol

On a bright note I got diesel for 1.87 yesterday...haha

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

SNOKING

Check the air pressure in the other one that appears to be separating. For that matter, check the air pressure in all the others. What is Simple tire going to do for you regarding refunds etc?

FWIW, no one wants to hear this!!! However thanks for posting. I ran XPS Ribs and R250s for years on my SOB and never look back so to speak! Time to monitor the tires on our new 2017 when we leave for Arizona the first part of October.

Chris

mlpeloquin

Makes me glad I have the Goodyear G614. Have to thank Bob (Robert) Hartsell for his advice two plus years ago. Boy time flies!

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Sorry to hear about your problem. I ran Sailuns for tens of thousands of miles with absolutely no problems whatsoever. Trace

- - - Updated - - -

Makes me glad I have the Goodyear G614. Have to thank Bob (Robert) Hartsell for his advice two plus years ago. Boy time flies!

Do you mean old cranky? :) Trace

KenandKK

I know this doesn't help, but, I was advised to run "H's" on a triple axle because of the "jacking". Was it a front tire? Sorry to hear about your problem, but thanks for sharing to give us other Sailun owners a 'head's-up'.

IronJ

Sometimes if you do hit a curb or road hazard, it leaves marks on the sidewall. Any such indications?

I gave it quick once over today as I was working on the truck and installing a fireplace for the wife...I didn't see any marks indict strike...all the pressures were 110-119 cold, and I have tpms so it didn't happen while I was driving....

its the right rear tire and the left front is looking kinda suspect too.....im taking the trailer in Tuesday for new shoes all around...at that point I will go over the tire with my tire guy and see what we think.

I have not even contacted simple tire about any possible warranty claim, but I'm sure they will send me to the distributor....well see on that tho...

I'm getting ready to leave on a month long trip, so I haven't had time ...just gonna get new ones and deal with these others when I get back I guess..

It is what it is......what is a guy to do?? LOL..

flhorsewm

Is anyone running Sailun 235/85 R16 on their (2011) cyclone? I ordered a set based on great reviews and am now worried there is not enough clearance between the tires (tri axle 3612). Sorry if I m beating a dead horse on this but I'd like to get back to Florida with no more trouble as I had three blow outs with Marthons on the way to PA.

IronJ

Buy a new trailer. :cool:
Hmm...a backup trailer....good idea...

I don't think I could keep up with the maintenance and repair list of TWO NEW trailers tho!!!!! Haha

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

avvidclif

Don't get rid of the bad one. I'm hoping you have a museum piece as the only Sailun to fail.....GRIN

mlpeloquin

Sorry to hear about your problem. I ran Sailuns for tens of thousands of miles with absolutely no problems whatsoever. Trace

- - - Updated - - -

Do you mean old cranky? :) Trace

Yes "Old Cranky". Puts on a great rally in Temecula at Pechanga Resort. I am bringing some Fire Ball and Irish Cream and good wine. Perhaps he can chill out and not be Cranky any more.