sailun g goes bye bye......2200 miles on it

mlpeloquin

Seen videos on the Ford Explorer flip over problem using a professional driver. All flip overs were driver error. Over loading, top heavy, and speeding. Tire blows and they applied the breaks and turned. The drivers flipped the cars. For the test the Ford Explorer had a rigged a tire to deflate without the driver knowing when. They overloaded and made it top heavy. AT 75 mph they instantly deflated it. He came to a safe stop. Did this several times. When asked what he did, unlike the people that flipped them, he said I will do it again and show you as I explain what I am doing with my feet. When the tire was deflated, he let go of the steering wheel, and keeped his foot on the gas peddle. He said if the vehicle had started to pull one way or another he would have accelerated and then slowly let of the gas peddle. He only had to remove his foot from the gas peddle after he felt the vehicle was not going to pull. He let it slow down to less than 15 mph before grabbing the steering wheel and very gently apply the breaks. He steered the vehicle gently to the side and stopped. No hands or brakes for most of the stopping. This is how I was taught in driver training class before we got to got to drive. Except was told to hold the steering whee straight and not to let go of it or turn it.

Carleen

Wow- I would have never guessed. We weren't taught anything about flat tires. I am so glad I know!

Carleen
2011 Ford F-350 6.7
2011 Big Horn 3585RL

BigGuy82

Wow- I would have never guessed. We weren't taught anything about flat tires. I am so glad I know!

Carleen
2011 Ford F-350 6.7
2011 Big Horn 3585RL

It is very counter-intuitive but after you watch the video and see the dynamics of a blowout, it does make sense. Hopefully, you never have to find out. Personally, I buy into it and have seen or read other articles and videos about this technique.

By the way, I'm not a physicist but I do know a bit about training. If you've been taught how to handle this situation one way for your entire life, there's a real good chance you won't use this technique when it is needed the most. I gave this a little thought and Patti and I came up with a training technique that we have been trying out. On a clear road without a lot of traffic, the passenger will unexpectedly say "blowout" and the driver has to respond. Not a scream in the ear, just a firm "blowout". You don't have to be pulling to do it - the whole idea is to just get you conditioned to pressing down the accelerator when the unexpected occurs. I hope I don't have to find out in a real life situation but I figure a little practice can't hurt.

Carleen

It is very counter-intuitive but after you watch the video and see the dynamics of a blowout, it does make sense. Hopefully, you never have to find out. Personally, I buy into it and have seen or read other articles and videos about this technique.

By the way, I'm not a physicist but I do know a bit about training. If you've been taught how to handle this situation one way for your entire life, there's a real good chance you won't use this technique when it is needed the most. I gave this a little thought and Patti and I came up with a training technique that we have been trying out. On a clear road without a lot of traffic, the passenger will unexpectedly say "blowout" and the driver has to respond. Not a scream in the ear, just a firm "blowout". You don't have to be pulling to do it - the whole idea is to just get you conditioned to pressing down the accelerator when the unexpected occurs. I hope I don't have to find out in a real life situation but I figure a little practice can't hurt.

Good idea

Carleen
2011 Ford F-350 6.7
2011 Big Horn 3585RL

tireman9

so like most I was worried about the POS tow max that came on my trailer which was PRE g series tires..

so about 6 months ago bought 7 of those highly rated sailun g rubber doughnuts for my house on wheels from simple tire...

well..im prepping my rig for a 4 week trip and move the trailer from storage shop to my house and I feel an odd hitch in my giddy up.......yep....it was flat as a pancake an flapping....tread was totally separated on about 2/3 of tire....huge bubble in side....it must blew while parked

upon further inspection I looks like one on other side has early signs of tread separation as well....???

I have an appointment with my tire guy for some goodyear g's on Tuesday.....he told me I was 3rd person this month with blown sailun he has seen....is gonna check my codes to see if they are same lot...

so tired of this tire drama!

Pictures would help in understanding why tire failed.

- - - Updated - - -

Glad you found my blog post on Interply Shear so helpful

- - - Updated - - -

I'll bet the NHSTA would like to inspect those tires. If there's a batch with a manufacturing defect, you could help get the entire batch recalled.

Yes but people have to make the effort to file actionable complaints with NHTSA in the first place. They will not initiate an investigation till they get a number of complaints on file.

- - - Updated - - -

IronJ:

I can't find where the country of origin is for the Hartland Tires, do you know?
What do you mean by "all steel tire" ? All steel belted radial? If so, I thought the goodyear G 614's are all steel belted..
I read where this tire was created for Discount tire is that true?

If you post the full DOT S/N we can tell you the location of plant that made the tire.

- - - Updated - - -

So is a GY G 614 110 psi rated at 75 mph or 65 mph?????
I always run at 65 but just wondering as it wasn't really specific on the GY web site, at least I could not find the speed limit.

We can identify the max speed rating if you post the tire complete tire size, including numbers and letter after the rim diameter. such as LT235/85R17 134/122Q

- - - Updated - - -

If you run a 65 mph tire at 75 mph, you will do damage that will show up later. I run my 75 mph Goodyear tires at 65 max. Mostly at 60 mph. Give the maximum rating of anything a derating to make it last. Never take a tire at its maximum rated weight or speed as well. Just because it is rated to do so doesn't mean it will last over time. Going over the ratings will do damage and usually shows up later under stress such as speed, weight, and temperature for tires. Electronics parts and metal will do the same.

Yup x3

- - - Updated - - -

Unless you hit an immovable object ...:p

- - - Updated - - -

That's an excellent guide - I downloaded it for future reference. I can't find the same info for Sailun, especially the speed rating. I even checked the tires and it isn't on there either.

.If you have ST type tires and there is no "Service Description" after the rim diameter the tires are rated 65 mph max

- - - Updated - - -

Something I haven't seen in this thread are posts with actual tire load numbers. IMO if you are having multiple tire failures and haven't traced to leaking valves then you most likely have one or more tires in overload.

If your tires are St type and you do not have a Service Description and are driving much over 60 then you are generating too much internal heat and contributing to short tire life.

Multi axle trailers put SIGNIFICANTLY higher shear force loads on tires than Motorhomes or other motorized vehicles. Sometimes as much as 24%. To partially counteract this you should ALWAYS run the tire sidewall pressure as your cold inflation pressure.

Trailers should have AT LEAST 15% margin lo load capacity for heaviest loaded tire based on actual measured loads and the tire Load inflation tables.

BigGuy82

As I said in a previous post, the ONLY thing I didn't like about my Bighorn when I selected it is the Sailun Chicom tires. When I said that, a lot of people came to their defense. All that I can say is that if a Goodyear fails, you know where to go with the problem. *****

If your TV is made in China and it fails, so what? If your fifth wheel tire fails, flips the unit and injures/kills someone, that's a different story. I equate Heartland's choice of cheap Chinese tires to the Army. My weapon was produced by the lowest bidder.

By the way, regardless of what is posted here, I will run these Sailuns at the recommended 110 PSI cold and I run at 65 mph because that's where RV tires are generally rated. I did that with all my boats, my 25' trailer and my 36' Class A. I think experimenting with these tires is dangerous. As I also mentioned previously, when the first one goes, they're all gone - including the spare.

Last edited by a moderator:

danemayer

As I said in a previous post, the ONLY thing I didn't like about my Bighorn when I selected it is the Sailun Chicom tires. When I said that, a lot of people came to their defense.

Maybe you need to investigate the matter further. Based on reports on this forum, and other RV forums, Goodyear G614 tires, which are considered very good tires by most people, actually have quite a large number of reported failures. I've had a Goodyear G614 throw off the tread.

Sailun S637 so far is a very different story. We've seen this one failure report, which may or may not have any to do with quality of the tire, or where it's manufactured.

If after investigating further, you feel the only safe tire is a Goodyear, you should act on your convictions. Sure it'll cost you. But if you really believe Sailun tires are unsafe and could cause the trailer to flip and lead to someone's death, you should get rid of them without delay.

jnbhobe

Your right Dan I have had 5 GY614's fail vs the one Sailun I have heard about. I have about 15K on my Sailun's and they still look new.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Though, from what little I know, and I put an emphasis on "what little". The Goodyear G614 have been around for a long time. The Sailuns have hit the market a short while back or at least made waves on this forum a short while ago. I'll be interested to see how the reports are in about five or so years. When they get a little age and a few more miles on them. I will also be interested to see how they handle damage claims. GoodYear seems to back that part of the service very well.

BigGuy82

Maybe you need to investigate the matter further. Based on reports on this forum, and other RV forums, Goodyear G614 tires, which are considered very good tires by most people, actually have quite a large number of reported failures. I've had a Goodyear G614 throw off the tread.

Sailun S637 so far is a very different story. We've seen this one failure report, which may or may not have any to do with quality of the tire, or where it's manufactured.

If after investigating further, you feel the only safe tire is a Goodyear, you should act on your convictions. Sure it'll cost you. But if you really believe Sailun tires are unsafe and could cause the trailer to flip and lead to someone's death, you should get rid of them without delay.

Nope. As I said before, based on the info in this forum, I am willing to see what happens. Of course, I never said or indicated that the only safe tire is Goodyear. What I said was if you do have problems, you at least have recourse with Goodyear. Try that with Sailun - just pop into your local Sailun dealer and let them handle it. As an example, while recently passing through St Louis, I had a problem with a somewhat exotic Corvette tire purchased from Goodyear in Rochester, NY. I called one of the several Goodyear stores in the area and the problem was handled. Again, try that with Sailun -are there even several dealers in the entire country?

When you say "we've" only seen one failure report, who is "we". What's happening beyond this forum? Also, you may recall that the original poster saw what he thought was similar deteriorization on another tire in his set. How many bad tires does a problem make?

Trust me, the first little sidewall or tread bubble, crack or irregularity I see, they're gone and it's my habit to fully inspect the tires and torque the lugs before every leg of every trip. Really, I'm one of those guys who actually does that stuff. I also inflate to the spec (110 psi on this set) and stay at or below 65. I also have TPMS. The chances of me having a failure are pretty slim because there's a real good chance I'll catch a flaw before it does blow. I had one blowout on my first traler and that taught me a valuable lesson - check your tires and don't speed (when the manufacturer says 65, they really do mean it). And yes, of course a blowout can cause a flip and death and I am always concerned about that regardless of what tires are on the rig. I know you think these are great tires. My opinion is, regardless of what genre of Sailun we are talking about, it is an inexpensive (cheap?), unknown, unsupported, suspect product. Should they prove different to me, I'll let you know. It shouldn't take long to burn through this set.

BigGuy82

According to Discount tires web site the Sailun is speed rated as L witch is 75mph.

Good info -means I've got a built in 10 mph safety margin:cool: Also means that they are built better than the norm, assuming that the rating is tested and valid.

When towing, I never go over 65 (unless a slight increase in speed makes sense from a safety standpoint). Even when I'm just in my truck, I rarely go over 65. When I'm in the 'vette or on the Gold Wing, all bets are off. Something about red Corvette convertibles and black motorcycles ...

Hey, who knows? They could be great tires. Time will tell.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
Where on the Discount Tire website did you find Sailun??? My nephew is a mgr at one location and indicated they do not handle Sailun tires. The Discount site show 50 images of tires, none Sailun....the forum will only allow 20 images per posting, so will post the others in another post.

alexb2000

I have always believed I am fanatical about maintenance, although some here go way beyond what I do.

Anyone that takes off four new tires off a new trailer and spends $1300 to replace them, well they really want good tires, and I am one of those that did just that.

I want good tires in part because I drive the speed limit when conditions allow. I'm not crossing west Texas at 65 or 55 or whatever, I am going 75, that and going 65 or less is a good way to get run off the highway and/or **** people off.

I lived through the 55 mph decades and I am still trying to get that part of my life back:)

BigGuy82

I have always believed I am fanatical about maintenance, although some here go way beyond what I do.

Anyone that takes off four new tires off a new trailer and spends $1300 to replace them, well they really want good tires, and I am one of those that did just that.

I want good tires in part because I drive the speed limit when conditions allow. I'm not crossing west Texas at 65 or 55 or whatever, I am going 75, that and going 65 or less is a good way to get run off the highway and/or **** people off.

I lived through the 55 mph decades and I am still trying to get that part of my life back:)

That's why they've got the right hand lane. Actually, I'm all for going with the flow, but when you have a 11 - 12 ton package caution is probably the better part of valor. Not likely anyone will run me off the road (I drove in Manhattan and the metro area for a number of years - there's not much that scares me) and if they get ******, that's their problem. I'm not a professional semi driver, I'm in no particular hurry and I stay out of people's way as best I can. I also don't get aggrevated easily, but for those moments when I do, the train horn will certainly help. Now, if I'm on one of those 80 mph roads, I'll do 70, but that's it.

Back to the 'vette. Got stopped in NM for 82 in a 75. Couldn't believe it. In NY, they give you 10 mph. However, as the cop explained, "here we already give you 10 - it's 75 not 65". Nice guy - he let me off with a warning. As he pulled away, I mentioned to the wife that it was good that he didn't clock me a few miles back when I was doing 131 mph (as clocked on a GPS). Yeah, I know, but those desert back roads are so flat, so straight and so uninhabited that it's tough not to bear down a bit. Now, back to the fiver - if I was in the same exact spot, I'd be doing 65. Anyone who came up behind me would be welcome to pass.

By the way, that was on Goodyear run flat tires with the temperature a tad over 90. These tires are speed rated "Y" and they aren't made in China :rolleyes:. Still had a little room left to the floor.

You know what they say ... this is how I roll.

BigGuy82

Doublegranch,

Just for kicks, I went to a web site called Tread Hunter. I checked availability for Ford F350 Sailun tires in NYC, Chicago, LA and Dallas. Number of dealers found? 0.

Did exactly the same for Goodyear. Number of dealers found? Many dozens (perhaps hundreds).

No dealers = no support, except through the internet and expensive shipping/handling, wasting time.

So, even if these were the best tires on the planet, would they be worth it without any support organization?

And, if SimpleTire doesn't have it, do they have to wait for it to be shipped from China or if not, where?

- - - Updated - - -

I now know a lot about Sailun and Goodyear, plus, I've heard a couple other nonfamiliar names mentioned. I'll look this up, but does anyone have experience with other major brands? Does General, Bridgestone, Michelin, etc have tires for our coahes and if so, how did those work for you.

Maybe this should be made a separate thread, so I'll leave that up to our competent moderators.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
The reason I went with G614's was Made in the USA, warranty, support and my nephew gave me a gonga deal...plus life rotation and balance and certificates.
According to a tire engineer, I am way overkill for my Sundance but hope the margin of safety will be to my advantage. I also drive at 65 mph....