sailun g goes bye bye......2200 miles on it

alexb2000

That's why they've got the right hand lane. Actually, I'm all for going with the flow, but when you have a 11 - 12 ton package caution is probably the better part of valor. Not likely anyone will run me off the road (I drove in Manhattan and the metro area for a number of years - there's not much that scares me) and if they get ******, that's their problem. I'm not a professional semi driver, I'm in no particular hurry and I stay out of people's way as best I can. I also don't get aggrevated easily, but for those moments when I do, the train horn will certainly help. Now, if I'm on one of those 80 mph roads, I'll do 70, but that's it.

Back to the 'vette. Got stopped in NM for 82 in a 75. Couldn't believe it. In NY, they give you 10 mph. However, as the cop explained, "here we already give you 10 - it's 75 not 65". Nice guy - he let me off with a warning. As he pulled away, I mentioned to the wife that it was good that he didn't clock me a few miles back when I was doing 131 mph (as clocked on a GPS). Yeah, I know, but those desert back roads are so flat, so straight and so uninhabited that it's tough not to bear down a bit. Now, back to the fiver - if I was in the same exact spot, I'd be doing 65. Anyone who came up behind me would be welcome to pass.

By the way, that was on Goodyear run flat tires with the temperature a tad over 90. These tires are speed rated "Y" and they aren't made in China :rolleyes:. Still had a little room left to the floor.

You know what they say ... this is how I roll.

If you had a NY plate on that Vette, well there is a possible reason for the stop. NM is actually more lenient on speed than Texas IME. However, plates other than TX, OK, CO, or perhaps AZ are viewed with some suspicion of trafficking so they tell me. Other than that, NM is a great state to open up a vette, lots of flat straight highways with no one for miles.

BigGuy82

The reason I went with G614's was Made in the USA, warranty, support and my nephew gave me a gonga deal...plus life rotation and balance and certificates.
According to a tire engineer, I am way overkill for my Sundance but hope the margin of safety will be to my advantage. I also drive at 65 mph....

When it comes to tires, overkill can't be bad. Regarding that discount tire list you published - I can count 11 brands I'd actually buy.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Seen videos on the Ford Explorer flip over problem using a professional driver. All flip overs were driver error. Over loading, top heavy, and speeding. Tire blows and they applied the breaks and turned. The drivers flipped the cars. For the test the Ford Explorer had a rigged a tire to deflate without the driver knowing when. They overloaded and made it top heavy. AT 75 mph they instantly deflated it. He came to a safe stop. Did this several times. When asked what he did, unlike the people that flipped them, he said I will do it again and show you as I explain what I am doing with my feet. When the tire was deflated, he let go of the steering wheel, and keeped his foot on the gas peddle. He said if the vehicle had started to pull one way or another he would have accelerated and then slowly let of the gas peddle. He only had to remove his foot from the gas peddle after he felt the vehicle was not going to pull. He let it slow down to less than 15 mph before grabbing the steering wheel and very gently apply the breaks. He steered the vehicle gently to the side and stopped. No hands or brakes for most of the stopping. This is how I was taught in driver training class before we got to got to drive. Except was told to hold the steering whee straight and not to let go of it or turn it.

Same situation occurs when people drive off the edge of a road at highway speeds. Their first reaction is to immediately jerk the steering wheel back to the left. Next thing they know is they're crossing into the other lane or rolling over down the highway. I was taught, during winter especially, when sliding off the road like that is to just lift off the accelerator, let the vehicle slow, and gradually bring it back on the pavement/or wheel tracks. Drivers today aren't as alert because of the so called safety measures that are incorporated into today's vehicles to "protect" them. Just saying...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jnbhobe

Discount Tire info center explains speed ratings and post 41 of this thread shows the Sailun rating. None of the dealers near me stock Sailuns but most all the distributors do, I have the same problem with GY since it is a commercial tire usually only stocked by truck tire dealers in this part of the country

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Drivers today aren't as alert because of the so called safety measures that are incorporated into today's vehicles to "protect" them. Just saying...

Not to mention that half of them are too busy texting or holding a cell phone to their ear to be concentrating on the road . . . :mad:

BigGuy82

Not to mention that half of them are too busy texting or holding a cell phone to their ear to be concentrating on the road . . . :mad:

Amen. Hence the train horn. Not only are they texting ... chances are the stereo is set high enough to shatter glass.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Amen. Hence the train horn. Not only are they texting ... chances are the stereo is set high enough to shatter glass.

I know . . .

I've been thinking about getting one of those train horns for my truck . . .

Most especially for those dumb@$$e$ that (whenever you have the trailer hitched up) want to pass and come too close to the front bumper when lane changing or get in front of you fast so they can make a right turn in front of you.

We had a Towmax blowout over the 4th of July weekend so we just finished the repairs and replacing all of our tires to Sailun S637 235R80-16. Question...when balancing tires on wheels should the shop be using the Hub Centric or Lug Centric method? There's a plethora of info out there!

jnbhobe

Lug Centric for those Wheels but most machines are Hub Centric

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Rollin_Free

Ah what's that???? Looks like I'm googling again tonight. I have never heard of this Centric topic. I just ask them to balance with the TST sensors installed. The good thing is I'm learning something so I'm pretty sure I'm still breathing. 😄

tireman9

"Lug Centric" means the wheel is centered by the lug nuts.
"Hub Centric" means the center hole of the wheel is machined to be at dead center.

Competent tire shops should be able to tell as the fit of the wheel on the hub will quickly show which is correct. If you mount the wheel on the hub and there is no for-aft "slop" in the fit only rotation to get the lug nuts centered

If lug centric then you will need to lift the wheel a bit before you can center the lug nut in the lug nut hole

avvidclif

Ah what's that???? Looks like I'm googling again tonight. I have never heard of this Centric topic. I just ask them to balance with the TST sensors installed. The good thing is I'm learning something so I'm pretty sure I'm still breathing. 😄

Long story short. That hole in the middle of your rim may not be in the exact middle and if not the wheel will wobble when they balance it and it won't balance correctly.