sailun g goes bye bye......2200 miles on it

TedS

Is anyone running Sailun 235/85 R16 on their (2011) cyclone? I ordered a set based on great reviews and am now worried there is not enough clearance between the tires (tri axle 3612). Sorry if I m beating a dead horse on this but I'd like to get back to Florida with no more trouble as I had three blow outs with Marthons on the way to PA.

You can get Sailun 235/80 which will be same size as OEM.

BigGuy82

No offense to anyone on this forum is intended here, but when I bought this Bighorn 3010RE, I pretty much liked everything about it EXCEPT the "SAILUN" made in China tires. I'm 67, have had a lot of vehicles including cars, trucks, boat trailers, cargo trailers, motorcycles and two RV's (a trailer and a Class A) and I have never heard of the brand. I know time will tell and I know what I read on this forum, but right now, I just don't trust these things.

When it comes to anything but electronics, I'm not a fan of Chinese manufactured stuff. Given the choice, I would never put my rather substantial butt on the line with Chinese tires. If just one of these fails for any reason other than a road hazard, all five are gone. In fact, I've even toyed with the idea of just replacing them but since the overall consensus on this forum seems to be that they are OK, I'm waiting. Since I've got enough road service coverage for three RV's, I'll give them a chance but a very narrow one. This includes "jack knife" backing - if it's a heavy duty trailer tire, it should stand up to rigors such as this.

This thread sure doesn't help make me feel any better about these tires, so hopefully it's a rare event. However, the comment that another tire in the same set looks like it's about to fail makes me wonder.

PS - the web site is also kind of cheesy.

Last edited:

jnbhobe

I usually don't buy anything from China but I've had a lot better luck with the Sailun's than I have with GY G-614's.

IronJ

Let me get this straight. You installed the fireplace in your TV or the RW??
Actually it's under the T.V. in R.W....lol

She is loony if she thinks she is getting a fireplace in my SD (super duty)..lol

e3f8a885588e0e867f3c11d92b406d30.jpg

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

BigGuy82

I usually don't buy anything from China but I've had a lot better luck with the Sailun's than I have with GY G-614's.

We'll see. One big problem as I see it is if you do have a problem that involves a warranty issue, where's your nearest Sailun dealer? By the way, how long does a set of tires generally last on these things?

avvidclif

We'll see. One big problem as I see it is if you do have a problem that involves a warranty issue, where's your nearest Sailun dealer? By the way, how long does a set of tires generally last on these things?

It ain't a problem if they don't blow. This is the first report of a problem

BigGuy82

So I did a lot of research on Sailun tires and overall, they get decent reviews. A background check on the company reveals that it is all Chinese, including manufacturing, marketing and R&D (handled through a Chinese University). Despite the comments in this forum, the Goodyear G614's are better rated overall - but they are MUCH more expensive than the Sailuns. (Not a problem as far as I'm concerned - there is no price that's too high to insure safety.) Like I said before, it's a new coach and we'll see how these tires do, but at the first sign of a problem, hello Goodyear.

However, I do have a question. From towing trailers of several types, I always knew that those tires were rated at 65mph. However, for some strange reason, I thought that these larger, high pressure ST tires would be rated for higher speed. Wrong. Still 65 mph.

What's the general consensus and experiences with running these things at 70-75 on a regular basis when conditions and limits allow?:confused:

BigGuy82

The faster you go . . . the longer it takes to stop!

Unless you hit an immovable object ...:p

- - - Updated - - -

Page 10 of the rv tire guide shows the 17.5 tire to be 75mph rated, I think.
eedit: and paGE 16 shows the 614 RST 75 mph as well.

http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/tire-care-guide.pdf

That's an excellent guide - I downloaded it for future reference. I can't find the same info for Sailun, especially the speed rating. I even checked the tires and it isn't on there either.

mlpeloquin

So I did a lot of research on Sailun tires and overall, they get decent reviews. A background check on the company reveals that it is all Chinese, including manufacturing, marketing and R&D (handled through a Chinese University). Despite the comments in this forum, the Goodyear G614's are better rated overall - but they are MUCH more expensive than the Sailuns. (Not a problem as far as I'm concerned - there is no price that's too high to insure safety.) Like I said before, it's a new coach and we'll see how these tires do, but at the first sign of a problem, hello Goodyear.

However, I do have a question. From towing trailers of several types, I always knew that those tires were rated at 65mph. However, for some strange reason, I thought that these larger, high pressure ST tires would be rated for higher speed. Wrong. Still 65 mph.

What's the general consensus and experiences with running these things at 70-75 on a regular basis when conditions and limits allow?:confused:

If you run a 65 mph tire at 75 mph, you will do damage that will show up later. I run my 75 mph Goodyear tires at 65 max. Mostly at 60 mph. Give the maximum rating of anything a derating to make it last. Never take a tire at its maximum rated weight or speed as well. Just because it is rated to do so doesn't mean it will last over time. Going over the ratings will do damage and usually shows up later under stress such as speed, weight, and temperature for tires. Electronics parts and metal will do the same.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
So is a GY G 614 110 psi rated at 75 mph or 65 mph?????
I always run at 65 but just wondering as it wasn't really specific on the GY web site, at least I could not find the speed limit.

mlpeloquin

So is a GY G 614 110 psi rated at 75 mph or 65 mph?????
I always run at 65 but just wondering as it wasn't really specific on the GY web site, at least I could not find the speed limit.

The Goodyear GY G614's are rated at 75 mph. The psi setting is based on weight. The LT235/85R16 with 90psi is good for 3300lbs on them at 75mph. I don't go 75mph and I put 100psi so I do not have to adjust the pressure on a long trip which varies in temperature and altitude.

View attachment Good Year Load Inflation Chart.pdf

Doublegranch

Based on weight for the PSI...until I get the Sundance weighed, I am currently at 110 psi...these are new tires and no miles yet. I will be going to the Colo Rally in Sept, then AZ Rally and getting my rig weighed at the National Rally in Vegas...
I am single, not full timing, so the added weight is not that much....suggestion on PSI??? Do I keep them at 110 psi until I know the numbers??

mlpeloquin

Based on weight for the PSI...until I get the Sundance weighed, I am currently at 110 psi...these are new tires and no miles yet. I will be going to the Colo Rally in Sept, then AZ Rally and getting my rig weighed at the National Rally in Vegas...
I am single, not full timing, so the added weight is not that much....suggestion on PSI??? Do I keep them at 110 psi until I know the numbers??

Go to a CAT weigh station. You should be able to find it looking on the internet. It won't give you a tire by tire/side to side weight, but it will get you in the ball park. Add 10psi for the weight until you get a tire by tire weight. Then add 5psi. Running with too much air will cause the fifth wheel to bounce. You may not feel it, but your stuff like dishes will.

Just pull onto the scale and make sure the fifth wheel tires are on the scale by them selves. Push the talk button and the operator in the station will record the weight. I think i paid $12 or $15 dollars.

Rollin_Free

I've been testing different pressures for 80psi tires to see what happens to pressure when tires heat up. I tested 75psi on a 300 mile+ trip one way and as the tires heated up I got approximately 8-11psi change from cold pressure. The outside temperature was 70-75*. On my return trip I put the pressure at 80psi and saw a reduced range of 3-6 psi. in each tire with about the same outside temperature. Not sure if this will repeat but I'm going on another shorter trip in 2 weeks and am planning to retest to see if I get the same results. Based on my initial results I'm thinking if I decrease my pressure to 70psi I may increase the cold-hot tire pressure range 12-17psi. According to my weight I should be able to safely be at 70psi but I'm not going to test this without a portable compressor in the rig.

Doublegranch

Not sure what is correct and I won't have the ability to get to a CAT Scale prior to the Colo Rally...so will leave them at 110 psi and see what the TMPS shows on the trip to Colo.....may or may not decrease on the way back to the AZ Rally...
I see this as a crap shoot until I get each tire weighed in Vegas.