Blowout on Goodyear Tire

TikiDawg

We installed a TST TPMS 510 just before this 3200 mile trip we are on now. In Arizona it was 110 degress, who knows what the pavement temp was. Cruising at the limit 75mph, the alarm sounded when one of the coach tires exceeded the pressure limit I had set. I slowed down to 65, the tire cooled off and pressure went down. Tire issue averted.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Jim.Allison

In Arizona it was 110 degress, who knows what the pavement temp was.

I used to work in the desert south of Tucson, I walked many miles across the desert floor, the ground would actually begin to burn my feet through my Vibram soles, I have heard it said that the desert floor can exceed 140 degrees, and I believe every word of it. Once the seals on an A/C unit on a Chevrolet Suburban blew out and expelled all the freon while I was driving down there. It is a vicious environment. I can only imagine what punishment a set of 5th wheel tires are going through along with the tow vehicle tires.

carl.swoyer

I use the valor TPMS,it was factory installed and I added it to my truck. It has saved me three times.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Kudos to the Goodyear Commercial Tire Center in Nashville, TN. Had a new G614 mounted less than 30 minutes after getting there. Great, friendly crew there. I gave the tech who changed the tire the Towmax I had to get Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tireman9

e1350dc15495bfc8c184e0a428820d15.jpg
8a643d94e1ead291ffb6510e92e6180e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to read about your failure. From the pictures it appears the tire did not suffer a "Run Low Flex Blowout" but had a Tread/Belt separation. Different failure modes have different causes and need different fixes.
Run Low Blowouts are caused by leaking air (puncture or valve leak). These can be avoided with the use of TPMS that will warn the driver as soon as the tire pressure drops a few psi.

Belt/Tread separations take many hundreds or possibly thousand miles to develop to the point the tire comes apart. These can be discovered with detailed tire inspection done annually or every 500 miles or so depending on your usage. This type of failure is many times caused by a loss of strength of the belt rubber which comes from a combination of age and heat. Heat comes from excess speed or less air pressure than what is needed for the actual load on the tire.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not hard to understand how tires blow on those day's where temps hit 140.

When properly loaded and inflated tires can tolerate ambient of 110F. The biggest problem for tires is overload for the inflation they are running. Cold Inflation is the only meaningful number. i.e. when tire has not been run or in sunlight for 2 hours. Trailers should have at least a 15% margin on actual measured load on each tire and trailers should run the tire sidewall pressure to lower the Interply Shear forces.

Diamondjim

Sorry for your difficulty with tires.
Been there done that, not fun for sure, but sounds like you were made whole in fairly short order, and safely back on the road.
I have a TPM system, but apparently did not buy top of the line, as it loves to buzz at me, nearly all the time.
Guess I should re-read the instructions and try to better understand what it's trying to tell me.

Not to make light of your plight, but that is SOME Afro hair do on that blown tire!

Safe travels.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Extremely happy with the claims process and response from the Goodyear Property Damage Claims Team. My claim was handled completely to my satisfaction and they communicated with me quickly whenever I submitted an invoice or sought information. Got approved yesterday for FULL cost reimbursement for a new tire and body damage repair costs.

tireman9

Extremely happy with the claims process and response from the Goodyear Property Damage Claims Team. My claim was handled completely to my satisfaction and they communicated with me quickly whenever I submitted an invoice or sought information. Got approved yesterday for FULL cost reimbursement for a new tire and body damage repair costs.

Your situation shows the advantage of dealing with a "real" tire company that puts their name on the tire rather than a company that is nothing more than an importer working out of a rented space in some warehouse building.

IMO people need to learn how to do a bit or research about the companies they are dealing with.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Your situation shows the advantage of dealing with a "real" tire company that puts their name on the tire rather than a company that is nothing more than an importer working out of a rented space in some warehouse building.

IMO people need to learn how to do a bit or research about the companies they are dealing with.

I have read where Goodyear does not cover the Marathon tires as good as the bigger G114's/616's . . .

tireman9

I have read where Goodyear does not cover the Marathon tires as good as the bigger G114's/616's . . .

Would need to do a detailed comparison of their warranty statement. I would not be surprised if ST type tires did not have the same coverage as the steel body commercial tires.

JohnD

Would need to do a detailed comparison of their warranty statement. I would not be surprised if ST type tires did not have the same coverage as the steel body commercial tires.

Is there a good load range E 15-inch truck tire that you would recommend?

I'm in the market for some in the next month or so . . .

SNOKING

I believe the same warranty is applied to all Goodyear trailer tires. Marathon and G614. They have a new trailer tire coming into the market. Maybe they will sideline the Marathon's? Chris

img_2656.jpg

JohnD

I believe the same warranty is applied to all Goodyear trailer tires. Marathon and G614. They have a new trailer tire coming into the market. Maybe they will sideline the Marathon's? Chris

Judging by the tread pattern, they look like they could just be rebranded Marathons.

I hope they are better . . . maybe I'll consider them.

danemayer

I believe the same warranty is applied to all Goodyear trailer tires. Marathon and G614.
While Goodyear has helped many of us by covering cost of trailer repairs and by reimbursing cost of tire replacement, that coverage is not promised in the warranty statement. On selected tires, they choose to go beyond what the warranty says. And of course, because it's not part of the warranty statement, they could stop doing so at any time.

On Marathons I don't think they go beyond what the warranty promises.

SNOKING

While Goodyear has helped many of us by covering cost of trailer repairs and by reimbursing cost of tire replacement, that coverage is not promised in the warranty statement. On selected tires, they choose to go beyond what the warranty says. And of course, because it's not part of the warranty statement, they could stop doing so at any time.

On Marathons I don't think they go beyond what the warranty promises.

From Goodyear's warranty.
• Loss of time, inconvenience, loss of use of vehicle,incidental or consequential damage.

This is the statement that allows them to not pay for trailer damage if they do not want to. If fact they have in the last few years tried to get one to have their insurance company cover the damage while offering the pay the deducible amount. Those that are politely firm with them will get the whole thing covered. And I believe this has happen with the G114's, G614's and Marathon's. The most important thing is to retain the damaged tire and have it sent in to them by one of the dealers. And take lots of pictures and have the tire dealer note the pressure in the remaining tires.

Chris

- - - Updated - - -

Judging by the tread pattern, they look like they could just be rebranded Marathons.

I hope they are better . . . maybe I'll consider them.

Goodyear's Endurance name is showing up of tires designed for extreme use applications like garbage trucks etc. These tires pictured are ST235/85R16E's while the largest Marathon in ST235/80R16E's/

These new ST tires are showing up with a special deal with Jayco as their introduction.

https://rv-pro.com/news/jayco-will-..._campaign=20160921_RVP_eNews (1)&utm_content=

Hopefully they will not become known as Endured-Blow tires.

Chris

tireman9

Is there a good load range E 15-inch truck tire that you would recommend?

I'm in the market for some in the next month or so . . .

Sorry but I try and stay away from making specific tire brand suggestions. I do cover how to select bases on load and usage on my RV tire blog.

- - - Updated - - -

Any tire can fail.

How many of you know the actual measured load on each tire?

How many set the tire pressure with an accurate gauge when the tires are cold?

How many run TPMS to get a warning of air leak from tire or valve?

If you run more than 50 psi cold do you have bolt in metal valves?

Do you know and keep at least 5 mph BELOW the max speed rating for your type tire?

ST Load formula is based on 65 mph MAX not average and not occasionally but like engine redline EVER?

SNOKING

Sorry but I try and stay away from making specific tire brand suggestions. I do cover how to select bases on load and usage on my RV tire blog.

- - - Updated - - -

Any tire can fail.

How many of you know the actual measured load on each tire?

How many set the tire pressure with an accurate gauge when the tires are cold?

How many run TPMS to get a warning of air leak from tire or valve?

If you run more than 50 psi cold do you have bolt in metal valves?

Do you know and keep at least 5 mph BELOW the max speed rating for your type tire?

ST Load formula is based on 65 mph MAX not average and not occasionally but like engine redline EVER?

So Roger can you explain how Carlisle has raise the max speed of their ST tires like the Radial Trail RH? Chris