Blowout on Goodyear Tire

SNOKING

The Maxxis M8008ST, manufactured in Thailand, has always been one of the better ST tires. Now Carlisle is building the Radial Trail RH which is also a better ST tire than the Marathon, Blow Max and other no name ST tires. Both the Maxxis and new Carlisle weight in at more than the bunch of 34 pound ST chrap junk tires. Blow Max tried to also add the Nylon overlay to improve the reliability of their tire, however that did not seem to happen based on continued failures. Tire company insiders always seem to blame ST tire failure on external issues, however junk cheap tires are just that. On most cheap ST tires you can do everything right and they still fail early at 1-3 years if they last that long.

Chris

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I was just looking at the Carlisles on Discount Tire's website.

Those are looking pretty good as well.

rxbristol

This is taken from the Discount Tire web site:
[h=5]Mileage[/h]
  • Trailer tires are not designed to wear out.
  • The life of a trailer tire is limited by time and duty cycles.
  • The mileage expectation of a trailer tire is 5,000 to 12,000 miles.

SNOKING

Seriously!!!!!!

Yeap, seriously! Blow Max would be more highly regarded if they could live up to those statements. Despite their effort to improve their product they remain on the bottom tier of cheap ST tires.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I've read some good things about the 15" Kenda Karrier ST tires . . .

Anyone here ever used them and what are your thoughts?

SNOKING

Kenda the bicycle and wheel barrel tire company? Sounds like something a dealer that sells them would tell someone.

tireman9

When I bought new tires for my truck a couple of months ago I was asking about putting some LT tires on our 5th-wheeler, and the tire shop guy (Tire's Plus) told me that they won't install LT tires on a trailer.

He told me it was company policy and wouldn't give me any other reason.

The reason is that the company (Tire Plus) doesn't want to be held liable for placing tires without sufficient load capacity on a trailer. Ensuring that an LT tire can support the load and the wheel the inflation takes some thought, data and calculation. They don't teach that at tire mounting school.

Too many trailer owners don't know the actual load on their tires (data from tens of thousands or weighings by RVSEF shows that over half on the treilers have one or more tire and or axle in overload.

An LT235/75R15 LR-E is not a satisfactory replacement for an ST235/75R15 LR-E even though many have probably made similar changes, that is just a lawsuit waiting to happen.

tireman9

Ever seen a Kenda Tire store? or just a dealer that sells them?

What is there warranty?

Where can you get warranty service?

tireman9

BAD LINK FIX

Sorry that if you clicked on a few of the links in my posts of Interply Shear and Tire Inspection but we lost ownership of the ,com domain
I was able to move the content to our new domain www.RVTiresafety.net and able to fix my signature link but can't fix all the bad links internal to various posts.

All I can do is suggest that if you find a broken link just edit the URL changing com to net and you should get to the page you want.

If you continue to have problems you can email me at the address in my blog or PM me here and I should get the message.

SNOKING

I take it that you have not used them . . .

Our SOB trailer came with Kenda Kevelar LT235/85R16E tires. They failed regularly on other's trailers. I contacted Kenda and they gave me 110 each to remove the 5 tires (before they failed) and have the tire dealer destroy them. Those that took the replacement ST tires did not fair well.

tireman9

Our SOB trailer came with Kenda Kevelar LT235/85R16E tires. They failed regularly on other's trailers. I contacted Kenda and they gave me 110 each to remove the 5 tires (before they failed) and have the tire dealer destroy them. Those that took the replacement ST tires did not fair well.

Gee have to wonder if Kenda is reporting the failures to NHTSA as law requires or if by paying customers who complain to do what is considered by some a "silent recall".

RV owners need to do a better job of filing tire complaints to NHTSA.

SNOKING

Gee have to wonder if Kenda is reporting the failures to NHTSA as law requires or if by paying customers who complain to do what is considered by some a "silent recall".

RV owners need to do a better job of filing tire complaints to NHTSA.

Not sure that bicycle tire companies have to report to the NHTSA! Ha! Ha! It was back in 2005 anyway. Chris

Moor2it

New 5th Wheeler
Just replaced my Tow Max tires with the Goodyear Endurance. Boy what a difference between the tires. Dealer also had Marathon in stock and showed me difference in the sidewalls of the Marathon and the Endurance. Doesn't take a rocket science to appreciate the difference being able to flex the Marathon by had and the Endurance hold steady. A real plus to see the Make in the USA Stamp on the Endurance.

Not traveling for another 2 weeks but feeling better about the trip. (The boss is happier too!)

Patrick Moore
Moor2IT
Harpers Ferry, WV