Blowout on Goodyear Tire

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Just had a blowout on right rear G614. I81 South @ MM46. Waiting on Good Sam Roadside Assist. Tire is completely shredded. Bent J trim but looks like it can be straightened. No tears. Took fender trim completely off though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boatto5er

e1350dc15495bfc8c184e0a428820d15.jpg
8a643d94e1ead291ffb6510e92e6180e.jpg

boatto5er

No TPMS. Been on my get a round to it list for the past three years. Guess I have some incentive now.

danemayer

Just had a blowout on right rear G614. I81 South @ MM46. Waiting on Good Sam Roadside Assist. Tire is completely shredded. Bent J trim but looks like it can be straightened. No tears. Took fender trim completely off though.

Gus,

Keep the tire. Goodyear will want it back if you put in a claim for repairs, which they will pay.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Good advice Dan....

Gus I'm not sure if it's in the cards or not but you might consider switching wheels and tires from the G614 at 3750lbs single = (15000lbs) on the 4.
Up to the 17.5 G114 at 4805lbs single = (19220lbs) big difference and good piece of mind.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Gus - let us know if the roadside assistance folks are there or if ya need us to come help. Also we have a TN member not far from ya that I can also call to come help.
B--

rxbristol

So sorry about your blowout...it sucks. Gus, looking at the other tire in the photo, it looks like it's on its last leg based on what looks like a slight bulge in the middle of the tire.

Piperflyer

One of you inventors out there, need to make a tire that quits spinning as soon as the tire blows, stopping the damage done to the camper from the blown shredded tire.

kowAlski631

One of you inventors out there, need to make a tire that quits spinning as soon as the tire blows, stopping the damage done to the camper from the blown shredded tire.

Big rig truckers would like that too, but stopping spinning would create a whole host of other problems.

porthole

Retired
TST 507 is on my list.

The 507 didn't give me any warning on my tire failure, but, I still use it and it did warn my twice when I had the rim cracks and losing air.

As others mentioned, Goodyear property damage is who you need. Goodyear tire warranty was no help as my tires were out of warranty by a few months according to date code, but not by purchase date (over under 5 years).

Gus, be thorough or your estimates.

Goodyear paid for:
5 new tires, I told them all the tires were purchased at the same time and I was not comfortable traveling with them and taking the risk. Plus, I had 4 tires replaced while on that trip before I even started the claim process.
The rim for the blowout tire (scuff and potential damage from highway contact)
All the bodywork
My 4" pvc tube bolted up to the frame that was cracked from the shredding tire
My mud flap that I had made up

The body damage, I had a local RV shop do an estimate which I submitted. I bought all the parts "I thought" I needed while in Goshen last summer. Having a toy hauler makes it a little easier to carry 10' long pieces of J-wrap.
I am just finishing the body repairs this week. Couldn't do it last year due to my double shoulder surgeries.

You have paint, so that is a benefit - drawback. Drawback is you can't do it yourself if you want. Benefit is - well our trailer, we can no longer get the decals.

The whole ordeal was aggravating, but in the end we were satisfied with the Goodyear experience and will continue to spend the money on the better tires.

BTW, our tires are the G-114's (17.5") and after 5 years probably had 3/4's of the tread left. Might be something to the 5 year rule with these tires

boatto5er

This was a pretty catastrophic failure. I had just checked pressure on all four less than two hours prior to this. Not sure if it contributed to the amount of damage, but I had to drive nearly a half mile to get to a safe spot to pull off the Interstate. Shoulder was closed where it happened. I think I ran over something.

porthole

Retired
This was a pretty catastrophic failure. I had just checked pressure on all four less than two hours prior to this. Not sure if it contributed to the amount of damage, but I had to drive nearly a half mile to get to a safe spot to pull off the Interstate. Shoulder was closed where it happened. I think I ran over something.

"Catastrophic" as well. I had rubber scoff marks all over the side from the wheel location rearward. We had about a half mile of travel as well, which I think was most of the damage to the wheel. By the way, we were in Virginia when this happened.

The tire ripped a piece of 1/4" x 1 1/2" aluminum angle I had bolted to the frame for the mud flaps. And behind that was the schedule 40 PVC pipe that was cracked.
We didn't run over anything, it just went.

(And - neither did you .......) :cool:

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Just another real life example that trailer tires are not "bulletproof". Pros and cons for all makes/brands & sizes and gadgets. I've had tire failures on my boat trailers, utility trailer, BH. Some ugly others "caught in time".
The evidence lays along the US highway system. Be sure you don't hit one of them there rubber alligators .