How Necessary is a Weapon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverRhino

Even with a weapon........I have not met the Wal Mart parking lot that I feel safe in, and that's during the day.....Let alone at night!!

retirie

retired investigator
possesing a wepon is not really to make you feel safe. it could be to save you and yours if needed. they are tools to be used when needed. remember a criminal does not follow laws and probably has a gun and knows your traveling and that you probably have cash on you. odds are actually in your favor of not being robbed etc. but when or if it happens remember that a retired investigator from texas dept. of criminal justice reccomends tbe LEGAL carryi.g of a firearm, a tool controlled by its user.

dave10a

Carrying a weapon in some states without proper documentation could create jail time and fines. So be ware. Also, I see no need to carry a weapon if you are aware of your environment. I don't consider Walmart as hostile territory. I have camped many decades with out a fire arm-- other than hunting or fishing. However, after reading some of the posts on this forum, I starting to feel more threatened by those who have no clue about tactical training who camp next to me with a fire arm. That is more scary.

danemayer

Here's a link to an explanation of "red herring" and "strawman". Big Al and Donna's comment was on the central point. Calling it a "red herring" was actually a good use of a "red herring" to sidetrack the discussion. And I'm guilty of helping you by pointing this out.

RollingStones

Big Horn 3610RE
Good idea to feel comfortable with what ever you choose. Its a personal decision to have one or not. A pump shotgun is hard to beat for general purpose and just the sight of may be enough.

dave10a

Here's a link to an explanation of "red herring" and "strawman". Big Al and Donna's comment was on the central point. Calling it a "red herring" was actually a good use of a "red herring" to sidetrack the discussion. And I'm guilty of helping you by pointing this out.
well one can glean what they want from the "red herring" or "straw man" definitions. However, the assertion of those who use that clique is that there is no other argument against carrying a fire arm. I think it is a good debate to have, without the distraction of cliques, red herrings, one liners, over simplification or straw man. Those who choose to carry fire arms should be aware of the laws, tactical advantages/disadvantages and safety. I seriously doubt many have considered those aspects and have the appropriate licenses/documentation and training to have and use fire arms. I have never found the need to carry a weapon for self defense-- even though I have the training and experience to do so. If a criminal wants to kill/rob you, the odds are that they are going to do that and there is not much you can do about it-- other than carry a loaded pistol all the time and no hesitation to take another persons life.

MdMike

I carry with my permits thru most of the country. I am trained, practice often and am responsible. If, and that is IF I need a weapon it is because I have no other option available to avoid or end a threat. I have had a gun stuck in my face TWICE in my life. It is not a feeling I ever want to experience again! I will defend myself and my family to all means necessary. If it means shooting the bad guy it is his fault, not mine.

As far as what weapon to carry that is a personal choice. I choose a concealable handgun with two extra magazines. My wife does as well.

There is NO SAFE area anywhere in this world anymore. I don't care where you live, travel to or just plain pass thru. The world is a different place then it was 20 years ago and I don't think anyone, with half a brain can argue that point!

d_fergie

I usually camp in the middle of nowhere, last weekend I took a .44 magnum, sometimes I take a .44 long colt black powder replica just for varmits 4 legged or otherwise ... I have a Lady Smith 5 shot .357 as backup.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I carry with my permits thru most of the country. I am trained, practice often and am responsible. If, and that is IF I need a weapon it is because I have no other option available to avoid or end a threat. I have had a gun stuck in my face TWICE in my life. It is not a feeling I ever want to experience again! I will defend myself and my family to all means necessary. If it means shooting the bad guy it is his fault, not mine.

As far as what weapon to carry that is a personal choice. I choose a concealable handgun with two extra magazines. My wife does as well.

There is NO SAFE area anywhere in this world anymore. I don't care where you live, travel to or just plain pass thru. The world is a different place then it was 20 years ago and I don't think anyone, with half a brain can argue that point!

Well said!

donr827

Where I live, South Florida, there has been a lot more cases of people being robbed while filling up their vehicles at gas stations. One was shot and killed while not offering any resistance. You have to be careful any where you go today.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.