Question on wheel temps.

bob34787

Just came back from Disney this morning, a trip of 17 miles, anyhow 3 of the wheels are relatively cool to the touch and one was really warm, not burn your hand warm but very warm. Cannot say what the temp really was as I did not bother with my monitor on such a short trip, any insight?

danemayer

Further investigation might be a good idea. Problems with bearings or brakes can both show up as heat. Were you feeling the tire, the wheel, or the hub?

MTPockets

"Warm" by itself should not cause concern. Sun on the wheel can cause it to feel warm, as well as a hot road surface if you're parked for a bit. "Hot" us another issue. If you have to remove your hand from the hub to keep from burning, that's hot. Also, if you've normally been cool or warm to the touch on the shady side, but it's now getting close to hot, it's time for a look inside at bearing raceways and lubricant.

Garypowell

It is a difficult question because I know one of my wheels is hotter than others. Obviously anything out of the ordinary needs watching. You might consider getting an infrared thermometer as a first step. That way you can quantify what you are feeling and watch it before you move and after you have moved for a while.

Even after having my bearings repacked this summer the one that always runs hotter by 10 degrees.....was still running 10 degrees hotter....so knowing what "normal" is is a very big factor.

bob34787

Further investigation might be a good idea. Problems with bearings or brakes can both show up as heat. Were you feeling the tire, the wheel, or the hub?

the tire felt the same as the other 3, the wheel and hub were hot compared to the other 3 maybe a trip for some warranty work is in order

danemayer

Dexter has a 2 year warranty for manufacturing defects on axles including bearing assemblies and brakes.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
My suggestion would be to get a infra-red thermometer and then measure the temps on each tire, wheel, and bearings. If you find one that is way out of normal you could have a problem which needs further investigation. Without measuring it is hard to tell if it is a bearing, tire, wheel, or brake. It could be any or all. The heat from a brake that is dragging would radiate to the wheel, tire, and/or bearing. You can find an IR thermometer at Wal-Mart, Home Depot, or Radio Shack. I use mine all of the time.

Kbvols

My suggestion would be to get a infra-red thermometer and then measure the temps on each tire, wheel, and bearings. If you find one that is way out of normal you could have a problem which needs further investigation. Without measuring it is hard to tell if it is a bearing, tire, wheel, or brake. It could be any or all. The heat from a brake that is dragging would radiate to the wheel, tire, and/or bearing. You can find an IR thermometer at Wal-Mart, Home Depot, or Radio Shack. I use mine all of the time.

What are normal temps you see on hubs? I know several things could factor but just curious.

bob34787

dropped it off at camping world this morning, general manager's opinion is the one wheel is hot because its the only Brake working, the tech is thinking that the seals may have been blown at the prep. stage prior to delivering it to me, time will tell

Jim.Allison

DITTO, there are a few things that an RV'r should own, an infra-red thermometer and a multimeter. Keep the infra-red thermometer on the dash board so you can get to it, use it at every stop on every concern. Radiator, truck bearing, tires and RV bearings and tires.

You gotta know what is going on before it becomes a problem.

sjs731

dropped it off at camping world this morning, general manager's opinion is the one wheel is hot because its the only Brake working, the tech is thinking that the seals may have been blown at the prep. stage prior to delivering it to me, time will tell

Wouldn't surprise me. When I had my bearing repacked for the first time two seals were out from the factory and the brakes were covered with grease. I had only been using 2 wheels to stop.

Steve and Carrie

HOC# 2252

2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax

B&W Companion Hitch

2012 Sundance 3300CK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

Dexter provides complete assemblies to Heartland. Heartland installs the complete axle/brake/wheel hub assembly as a unit. On factory tours, I've not seen any work being done on the hubs and I can imagine no reason to prep them by adding grease. Would the dealer have some reason to pump grease into a new wheel? Also doubtful.

The seal may have been defective, or perhaps installed incorrectly, and as a result they might find grease causing a problem. But it doesn't seem at all reasonable to think that anyone would pump grease into a new assembly after it left Dexter.

Sounds to me like the tech is blowing smoke.

rxbristol

When I repacked the bearings on my new rig, I had one brake that was too tight. It took a couple of wheel turns to get it adjusted correctly.

donr827

Many rigs ago, before I had a infra red thermometer, I would walk around the trailer at every stop and would feel the hubs. One time one was much hotter then the others and it turned out to be a dragging brake.
Don

bob34787

Dexter provides complete assemblies to Heartland. Heartland installs the complete axle/brake/wheel hub assembly as a unit. On factory tours, I've not seen any work being done on the hubs and I can imagine no reason to prep them by adding grease. Would the dealer have some reason to pump grease into a new wheel? Also doubtful.

The seal may have been defective, or perhaps installed incorrectly, and as a result they might find grease causing a problem. But it doesn't seem at all reasonable to think that anyone would pump grease into a new assembly after it left Dexter.

Sounds to me like the tech is blowing smoke.
it appears you have not ever dealt with CW in Kissimmee