Synthetic oil

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I do not put a lot of miles on a year. So there are times I change oil only once. I'm always looking to save a $, but have no issue spending a little more on synthetic if there are benefits.

Regarding the comment that Ford dealer told you that "no one has requested synthetic", I got the same comment before. Didn't surprise me. Service tech's aren't very techie. And, the guys they use to change the oil aren't the sharpest tools in the dealer's shed either. Ford Super Duties are shipped without synthetic even though in most applications that purchasers will use their Super Duties for should require synthetic. The up-charge for synthetic at a Ford dealer is significant. Ford dealers typically use a synthetic blend, which is almost as good as the synthetic. I've used both and have found that the synthetic last longer and runs cooler.

Late model Ford diesel Super Duties do not require more frequent oil changes than those recommended by the "intelligent" oil monitor per the Diesel Supplement Manual.

JWalker

Thanks everyone for the info. The decision to go with full synthetic was made when the dealership gave me a discount coupon that put the synthetic cheaper than the conventional oil change. Scheduled for Wednesday.

They use Rotella T6. Hoping that is a good oil??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 25

Bones

Thanks everyone for the info. The decision to go with full synthetic was made when the dealership gave me a discount coupon that put the synthetic cheaper than the conventional oil change. Scheduled for Wednesday.

That is suppose to be good oil for diesels

caissiel

I have changed oil in my 6.0L Ford once a year in the 8 years I have owned it. The engine has been flawless with no maintenance requirements.
The Diesel oil I use is for Diesel service so heavy use is normal.
My trailer towing at 40 to 50% torque does not put any strain to my engine.
Everyone else I know has had injector issues with their 6.0's.
I will keep my method for many more years.
In my gas car I change it also once a year but use full synthetic. Mileage may be as high as 30k miles. It nice and clear.
Towed heavy with 2.9L Ford Ranger and changed the synthetic oil at 50k miles with wonderfully service.
Used synthetic once in a Diesel but IIT get so dirty so never used it again. 5o me not worth it.
Only benefit on mileage is when engine is cold.

porthole

Retired
www.bobistheoilguy.com

The Oil 101 article is great.

Have to wonder a little about this guy.
Quote from the home page:

"Unlike most private motor oil web sites, Bob Is The Oil Guy is not about selling you something; "

Yet prominent on the header bar on the web site is a Pennzoil page.

Pennzoil is good oil, but the contradictions on the first page are glaring.

- - - Updated - - -

One of the top rated diesel oils, but all of the Rotella products are.
At that price I certainly would use syn.

It is hard to find independent in depth oil testing for water cooled engines. The testing is out there for motorcycles though.

rxbristol

Have to wonder a little about this guy.
Quote form the home page:

"Unlike most private motor oil web sites, Bob Is The Oil Guy is not about selling you something; "

Yet prominent on the header bar on the web site is a Pennzoil page.

Pennzoil is good oil, but the contradictions on the first page are glaring.

- - - Updated - - -

One of the top rated diesel oils, but all of the Rotella products are.
At that price I certainly would use syn.

It is hard to find independent in depth oil testing for water cooled engines. The testing is out there for motorcycles though.

His site didn't use to have that type of "advertisement". Money talks.

JWalker

The RAM/Ford dealership is offering a service buy in program. Has anyone heard of this? I can buy up to 4 oil changes at the discounted price ($87 full synthetic). Unlimited time to use them. Just looking for the catch here.

Thanks

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
If that is the inclusive price for the oil and filter and labor I would be ALL OVER THAT!!!

Rod

The RAM/Ford dealership is offering a service buy in program. Has anyone heard of this? I can buy up to 4 oil changes at the discounted price ($87 full synthetic). Unlimited time to use them. Just looking for the catch here.

Thanks

farside291

That's all I use with a Mobile 1 filter or Royal purple filter if I can find it. I noticed those filters are twice as heavy as filters like Fram so I figured they must have more filter material. No problems so far. Change the oil once a year. I don't tow much, maybe 5,000/year tops.

brianharrison

Synthetic T6 Rotella for me; more because of cold winter startup, and I only buy when on sale. Secondary benefit of low potential of oil coking at higher turbo temps (towing).

Oil filter debate over OEM vs non-OEM had me switch back to OEM Motorcraft. I was not prepared to take the chance on fitment and possibly have bypass or over pressure devices not work properly. Old Youtube video from a Ford Dealer.

Brian

Bones

Synthetic T6 Rotella for me; more because of cold winter startup, and I only buy when on sale. Secondary benefit of low potential of oil coking at higher turbo temps (towing).

Oil filter debate over OEM vs non-OEM had me switch back to OEM Motorcraft. I was not prepared to take the chance on fitment and possibly have bypass or over pressure devices not work properly. Old Youtube video from a Ford Dealer.

Brian
If the competitive examples are so bad then why don't they name who their competitors are? Your left to guess as to who or what brand they evaluated. Did they evaluate the cheapest brand available? If they truly did an evaluation their research should be made available and performed by a third party. Just my two cents.

avvidclif

Don't care. The difference in price from the major brands to Motorcraft is almost zero. I never buy the "El Cheapos" I have too much invested in the truck.

porthole

Retired
Secondary benefit of low potential of oil coking at higher turbo temps (towing).

Brian

Synthetic oils, by nature don't "coke".

Conventional oils can be an issue with extreme temps and lack of flow - breaking down, forming sooty deposits, e.g. "coking"
Coking is a minimalist problem with modern vehicle and turbo designs.
Babbitt bearings are long gone and most modern trucks have water jacket encased turbo bearings.

Either way, the coking issue was from extreme high temps and shutting down the engine eliminating the oil circulation. Especially in the days of old with non water cooled turbo bearing jackets and heavy foot application immediately shutting down the engine.

Hot turbo, no oil flow, turbine still spinning at 100K - oil is history.

BBslider001

I can't believe some of the stuff I have read on here that some of you are buying into. Synthetic oils do not protect better than conventional, PERIOD. Show me one catastrophic failure due to not using synthetic oil. As far as extended drain intervals, it's not a good idea on HEUI fuel systems. The injectors are driven off of the oil, so extending past 5k miles, severe use or not, is asking for trouble. Any Ford tech that tells you different does not understand these fuel systems. It would do most people well to look on over at BITOG and get really educated before making blanket statements about oil that they read somewhere at a dealer while paying ridiculous prices to get their oil changed. El cheapo brands are no better than the most expensive brand or they wouldn't be on the shelf to begin with. If anyone knew some history, some of those pricier brands were terrible due to the additives and protectants that are in the oil. Walmart Supertech 15w-40 is going to protect just as well as Rotella 15w-40. I ran it on my last diesel before my current truck for 375k miles. I even had a few analysis done through Blackstone who told me to keep running the current lube! Did I ever have an engine failure or any other oil related failure? NO....my point is, let go of the myths and look at reality and the facts. Last I checked, which was yesterday, a diesel engine oil change with synthetic is way beyond cost effective. JMHO, but an accurate one. Synthetics are a waste of money unless one does dual filtration, analysis, and extended drain intervals, but again, it has to be a long time before the cost savings outweigh the benefits of good conventional oil and 5k mile OCIs. If one wants to go syn and waste the money, that is their American God-given right, but don't try to convince me that it's better or is going to provide better service. That simply is not the truth.

- - - Updated - - -

an old video but........

Just one of many reasons why no one touches my truck but me...and I mean NO ONE.

Last edited: