Synthetic oil

porthole

Retired
As far as extended drain intervals, it's not a good idea on HEUI fuel systems. The injectors are driven off of the oil,

Just so the rest here know, HEUI injectors (hydraulic, electronic unit injectors) are pretty much limited to 7.3 and 6.0 Fords.
The rest of the light duty truck market uses several different forms of injectors, with the electronic piezo type the most common.

If one wants to go syn and waste the money, that is their American God-given right, but don't try to convince me that it's better or is going to provide better service.

I don't think anyone here is trying to convince you to change. The OP had a valid question partly based on price.
Synthetic oil has it's place, so does conventional oil.

BBslider001

Just so the rest here know, HEUI injectors (hydraulic, electronic unit injectors) are pretty much limited to 7.3 and 6.0 Fords.
The rest of the light duty truck market uses several different forms of injectors, with the electronic piezo type the most common.

I don't think anyone here is trying to convince you to change. The OP had a valid question partly based on price.
Synthetic oil has it's place, so does conventional oil.

I don't really think anyone is trying to convince me, but this was rather a general response to the whole synthetic oil discussion. And that is based on this from the OP..

"Just a few questions. What are the benefits? Do you still change on regular intervals like standard oil or can it go longer between changes? Any other disadvantages or advantages?"

That is what I was responding to. Synthetic is not better for protection, just different for application choice. Again, in my humble but accuarate opinion, save your money. Most of us, if not all, don't keep a truck long enough to warrant anything but conventional. As soon as these are out of warranty, people are running to trade them if not sooner. It's the American way.

rxbristol

I remember what a go-cart racing enthusiast said to me years ago, when he rebuilt his engines at season's end, the engines he used synthetic oil in looked brand new. It made a believer in him.

Bones

I don't really think anyone is trying to convince me, but this was rather a general response to the whole synthetic oil discussion. And that is based on this from the OP..

"Just a few questions. What are the benefits? Do you still change on regular intervals like standard oil or can it go longer between changes? Any other disadvantages or advantages?"

That is what I was responding to. Synthetic is not better for protection, just different for application choice. Again, in my humble but accuarate opinion, save your money. Most of us, if not all, don't keep a truck long enough to warrant anything but conventional. As soon as these are out of warranty, people are running to trade them if not sooner. It's the American way.
Well I hope I made a good choice because the hammer has come down for me and I'm banned from any new vehicle or vehicle for 20 years. I think I would go with synthetic or a semi synthetic Rotella when mine comes due.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
OK, just my observation...

We recently went to 2 New York rallies in the last four weeks. Three quarters of each trip was the same route, weather, fuel stations.....etc. Trip number one was conventional oil. Trip number two was full synthetic.

Trip 1- conventional
10.7mpg there - 10.2mpg back

Trip 2- synthetic
11.4mpg there - 10.7mpg back

Right around a 900 mile round-trip for each.

Not sure if the oil made a difference or not, just my observation.

Bones

OK, just my observation...

We recently went to 2 New York rallies in the last four weeks. Three quarters of each trip was the same route, weather, fuel stations.....etc. Trip number one was conventional oil. Trip number two was full synthetic.

Trip 1- conventional
10.7mpg there - 10.2mpg back

Trip 2- synthetic
11.4mpg there - 10.7mpg back

Right around a 900 mile round-trip for each.

Not sure if the oil made a difference or not, just my observation.
Jamie what is you normal milage? no load?

Synthetic oils do not protect better than conventional, PERIOD.

Perhaps synthetic oil would not be appropriate for your 1997 F350, but Ford has recommended synthetic oil for severe duty applications (this includes towing) since 2011 per their diesel supplement owner's manual. Additionally, differential fluid shipped from the factory is synthetic. I don't know what Dodge or GM recommends or pre 2011 Ford diesels require, but would suggest owners look at their manuals and follow the manufacture's recommendation. I did not use synthetic on my 1999 Ram 5.9, and it did just fine.