Titan Fuel Tank Question

BigGuy82

I just installed a 65 gallon Titan Tank in my 2016 Ford Diesel - so far so good. I'm very happy with the additional range and fewer stops.

I noticed that the brackets holding the tank are shiny, so I called Titan and asked if they were stainless or galvanized (I didn't crawl under the truck in the snow to look). They informed me that they were galvanized, then mentioned that the brackets are not part of the lifetime warranty. The tank is warranted for life ... the brackets are only warranted for one year. They also mentioned that the brackets are, of course, susceptible to corrossion due to winter road treatments.

I'm just mentioning this as a lookout for those of you who have this product. I suggest you paint the brackets and check the brackets occasionally. As for me, I'll be checking them every six months (it's on the calendar) - I don't need to have my tank breaking loose at 65 mph.

Hope you find this useful.

RoadJunkie

Re: Titan Tank Question

They do sell the Rino/Line-X-like coated brackets that help with corrosion. Titan is very clear about the importance of regular inspections of the tank mounting brackets, not only for corrosion but mounting bolt stress indicators. I inspect mine quite frequently.

BigGuy82

They do sell the Rino/Line-X-like coated brackets that help with corrosion. Titan is very clear about the importance of regular inspections of the tank mounting brackets, not only for corrosion but mounting bolt stress indicators. I inspect mine quite frequently.

They should maybe make better brackets - did you notice the ones that Ford uses? That's why I was so surprised at the relative light weight of the Titan brackets.

Thanks for the info on the coated brackets - I'll try to find them and switch them out beforfe there's a problem.

Bones

so you pay 1300 bucks for a nice tank and they don't send you brackets that are strong enough or made to last awhile? That has me re thinking titan tanks.

BigGuy82

so you pay 1300 bucks for a nice tank and they don't send you brackets that are strong enough or made to last awhile? That has me re thinking titan tanks.

I know. But it's hard to ignore that 600 - 700 mile range.

I figure I'll crawl under there every six months to check it out.

Bones

I know. But it's hard to ignore that 600 - 700 mile range.

I figure I'll crawl under there every six months to check it out.

The range is great. I know reality over here. I would only check it once in awhile

porthole

Retired

I just installed a 65 gallon Titan Tank in my 2016 Ford Diesel - so far so good. I'm very happy with the additional range and fewer stops.

I noticed that the brackets holding the tank are shiny, so I called Titan and asked if they were stainless or galvanized (I didn't crawl under the truck in the snow to look). They informed me that they were galvanized, then mentioned that the brackets are not part of the lifetime warranty. The tank is warranted for life ... the brackets are only warranted for one year. They also mentioned that the brackets are, of course, susceptible to corrossion due to winter road treatments.

I'm just mentioning this as a lookout for those of you who have this product. I suggest you paint the brackets and check the brackets occasionally. As for me, I'll be checking them every six months (it's on the calendar) - I don't need to have my tank breaking loose at 65 mph.

Hope you find this useful.

I spray paint the brackets when I think of it, which isn't that often.
Maybe with the next truck I'll do something different with the brackets, then again, maybe not. If I start worrying about all the rust under my truck I won't drive it.

BTW, do you know you can have the dealer reprogram the "miles to empty" to match the 65 gallon tank?

BigGuy82

Just an update. I talked to Titan and it seems that these galvanized brackets are the latest/greatest, with a long (years) life expectency. As far as checking the mounting occassionaly, they recommended it but didn't seem all that concerned about bracket failure. From my viewpoint, I have to get down there and drain the water separator every so often, so it's no big deal to crawl a few more inches and look at the tank.

Oregon_Camper

BTW, do you know you can have the dealer reprogram the "miles to empty" to match the 65 gallon tank?

How does this work? Does the truck read the fuel level in both the Aux tank and standard tank?

My aux tank has a gauge wired into my middle console. It also has a switch there, that allow me to manually turn the pump on/off. If I leave it "on" it will start to pump once the main tank dips below 3/4 of a tank. I prefer to wait and let the truck get down to 1/4 tank, then turn the pump on, it's fun to watch the "mile to empty" increase vs decrease. :)

BigGuy82

How does this work? Does the truck read the fuel level in both the Aux tank and standard tank?

My aux tank has a gauge wired into my middle console. It also has a switch there, that allow me to manually turn the pump on/off. If I leave it "on" it will start to pump once the main tank dips below 3/4 of a tank. I prefer to wait and let the truck get down to 1/4 tank, then turn the pump on, it's fun to watch the "mile to empty" increase vs decrease. :)

On my Ford F-350, the 65 gal Titan tank is a replacement for the factory 37 gal tank, not a 2nd tank. As far as I know, the computer can't calculate the contents of a 2nd tank .

RoadJunkie

Reprogramming the DTE (Distance To Empty) is only desirable for the midship replacement tank, not an in-bed auxiliary tank. Replenishing fuel to the stock tank with the auxiliary-held fuel is like refueling at a fuel station and the stock tank will indicate fuel level accordingly. If you replace the stock mid ship tank with a larger capacity tank, then you will want to reprogram the DTE set point. My dealer did this reprogramming very quickly.

Oregon_Camper

On my Ford F-350, the 65 gal Titan tank is a replacement for the factory 37 gal tank, not a 2nd tank. As far as I know, the computer can't calculate the contents of a 2nd tank .

LOL...glad I asked. :) I just couldn't figure out how it would work for a Aux tank (in the bed), but clearly a easy solution with a tank replacement.

..thanks!! :)