Towmax blowout 2 days ago

Rollin_Free

Keep in mind, not all GoodYear tires are created equal. We had GoodYear Marathons on our last Cyclone and replaced 2 in less than 2 years - 1 before it blew and 1 after. I will say, GoodYear did stand behind the tire that blew and paid for not only a replacement tire but also all the damage to the trailer but that doesn't help much when you are sitting on the side of the road or can't use the rig because it is being repaired.

Agreed, I forgot about the marathons. So just to make sure everyone knows, which model is being used by RV owners for each manufacture? I know the Goodyear G614 has been mentioned many times but I'm not sure which model for the Sailun tires is being purchased?

Dennyha

I, literally, just placed an online order for 4 Sailuns. I've been planning on it, but this post pushed me over the line.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Why the spare? Is it unsafe to drive a short distance with an E rated tire and 3 G rated tires (if necessary), or because it is a Towmax?

Because it is a Blowmax.

The way I look at it is this . . .

If you don't trust them on the trailer in the first place they why would you trust them to be a spare?

I replaced all five of my Blowmaxes at the same time . . .

BandGun

How long do you plan to be in Baileyton? SimpleTire.com has G614s for $300 each and ships free. Takes about three days. You just need to find a place to get them mounted. The SimpleTire website has a tool to help you find a place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got through putting on 5 g614s from Porter Tires in Greenville TN. They were 280 each mounted and balanced.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Because it is a Blowmax.

The way I look at it is this . . .

If you don't trust them on the trailer in the first place they why would you trust them to be a spare?

I replaced all five of my Blowmaxes at the same time . . .

I agree. A TowMax is a ticking time bomb, on the ground or off.

Our 2010 ElkRidge had them. Our spare was put on the ground because one of our regular TowMax was starting to show irregular wear, in April of 2011. The spare showed signs of belts breaking inside, just 4 months later! Both were luckily caught pre-explosion. We diffused them all with 5 Maxxis 8008s.

Dennyha

I, literally, just placed an online order for 4 Sailuns. I've been planning on it, but this post pushed me over the line.
This weekend, the new Sailuns were installed on the Cyclone, and the Blowmaxs are in the trash. While I was at it, I installed a Mor Ryde wet bolt shackle upgrade kit and six Snap pads. All in all, a pretty good weekend.

Bones

I made the jump and purchased some Sailun Tires last night. I bought 5 tires. Once they come in I'm going to need to get them on the trailer soon.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I made the jump and purchased some Sailun Tires last night. I bought 5 tires. Once they come in I'm going to need to get them on the trailer soon.

G-rated tires good...Still running the OEM Towmax?

Dennyha

Mor Ryde wet bolt shackle upgrade kit and six Snap pads...

What is this magic??

Friday, I picked the Cyclone up from indoor storage, and now I'm excited to do my upgrades so we can go camping next weekend (if it's warm enough). We're going to a wedding near Dayton, and I'd rather stay at a campground than at a hotel.

Bones

G-rated tires good...Still running the OEM Towmax?

Yeah. They are still on there. I plan on selling them for a few bucks hopefully.

- - - Updated - - -

This weekend, the new Sailuns were installed on the Cyclone, and the Blowmaxs are in the trash. While I was at it, I installed a Mor Ryde wet bolt shackle upgrade kit and six Snap pads. All in all, a pretty good weekend.
I think that was a good weekend.

- - - Updated - - -

Friday, I picked the Cyclone up from indoor storage, and now I'm excited to do my upgrades so we can go camping next weekend (if it's warm enough). We're going to a wedding near Dayton, and I'd rather stay at a campground than at a hotel.
They are talking almost 70 at some point here during the week.

1_oldgoat

I had a towmax let go last spring on my Gateway, luckily i was watching and k8nd of expecting to.have trouble, i jotices some defects in the sidewalls on all 4 before we left on a trip up north. I replaced all 5 tires with a better brand, i couldn't get Sailuns and didn't want to pay the shipping, anyway, i kept the take offs, they have been sitting for over a year now, i sold my house and decided to see if Heartland would do anything about the tires, they gave me a number for the distributor of the Towmax tires in Florida, i take them to a dealer today to get inspected and from what i was told, since i had a blowout, and replaced the tires, i could end up with some cash back, they pro rate the tire by tread wear, new tires are worth $120.00 each because Heartland buys bulk, thats the price the tires are worth, and every 32nd of an inch drops the value of the tire. I'll post what i find out, because the tires have sat for a year i could be in trouble if there is any weather checking ect....and should have done this sooner, but i did take pictures of the sidewalls before i had the blown tire so may be okay. The warrenty is for 5 years on the towmax's and the lady i spoke with was very helpful, and polite, she set up the appointment for the local tire dealer for me as well. Again i'll post the results, i decided to see if the tires were worth anything as far as warrenty because we sold the house and i was not sure if i should take them with me or dump them, and i was hanging on to them to see if a recall was going to pop up. The reason i replaced all 5 is because the new tires are slightly taller than the Towmax set, so didn't want an oddball spare....

Last edited:

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
The reason i replaced all 5 is because the new tires are slightly taller than the Towmax set, so didn't want an oddball spare....

Not to mention that if you can't trust a BlowMax on the trailer . . . then why would anyone trust it as a spare?

1_oldgoat

I agree 100%, wouldn't have kept the towmax as a spare if the new tires were the same size, not worth the worry....

Abear79

I have a gateway 3650bh and I blew out twice in one week with the towmax. I keep my RV clean and parked in a 30x60 building. I check air pressure before I leave for a trip and before I come home. I really thought proper care and treatment of these tires would make a difference, it did not. The towmax tires are 2 years old with close to 4500 miles on them. So I am researching hard and I fine this forum. I now I feel like I should have joined 2 years ago when I got my RV.

Has anyone ever used Prometer tires. I'm going to a 14 ply now and my tire guy says they are a good tire.

jnbhobe

Just get the Sailun's they are the best deal going now and they hold up better than any other.